Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Order of Merit

To say that I was flabbergasted, bowled over, when I received a letter from Government House that said that I had been nominated for membership of the New Zealand Order of Merit is an understatement. Such gongs, medals, distinctions usually go to well known personages with substantial public profiles, and perhaps, as I imagined, egos to match. Who am I, a humble retired bookseller and care giver to get such distinction. But I am very flattered. I particularly appreciate the comments from numerous people, who said how much I influenced, helped or mentored them. Often people do things, say things, that has a great impact on others without realizing this. It may be just the way I do things, the way I think of things, that sheds a new or different light on the perceptions of others. Perhaps my strength is thinking outside the box, where others see problems I see challenges, opportunities and solutions. This is how I got involvement with the establishment of the Hutt Valley Chamber music Society when the national organisation closed down the Hutt Valley series of concerts, this is how I got involved with the establishments of the Holocaust Centre of New Zealand, the success of which exceeded our wildest hopes and imagination. Unworthy as I deemed myself, I obviously cast a longer shadow than I was aware of and I greatly value the honour confirmed on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment